jtemplate.ru - free extensions for joomla
www.sanilacbroadcasting.com
Thursday, 20 December 2012 10:23

Mother accused in son's death could go to trial

(BAD AXE) -- A jury trial for the Huron County mother accused in the death of her 23-month of son has been set. 29-year old Jennifer Lynn Emerick appeared in Circuit Court Monday for her arraignment with her lawyer. She has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and second-degree child abuse stemming from the death of Donavin Cochrane on December 29, 2011. The trial has been scheduled for April 23 with a final plea agreement deadline of April 1. Prosecutors believes Emerick asphyxiated her child by holding him face down into his pillow, while the defense argues it was an accidental death. Emerick had originally faced a second degree murder charge in the case. Her posted bond was continued.

(DECKERVILLE) -- The Deckerville School Board met Monday night and discussed Superintendent Tricia Pawlowski's evaluation. The board gave her performance as Superintendent an effective rating. Pawlowski's contract was extended through June 30, 2016. Starting July 1, 2013, her position will be on a part-time basis and she will no longer serve as the Technology Director. The move is a cost saving measure for the district and has been discussed for some time.

Thursday, 20 December 2012 09:50

Student charged in school threat probe

(MILLINGTON) -- A Millington Schools student faces a felony threat of terrorism charge following an investigation into threats made against fellow students at the school. The student was apprehended by authorities Tuesday after administrators learned of the threat. A second juvenile has been charged with three felony counts of assault with a dangerous weapon for an earlier incident at the school involving a razor blade, which previously resulted in his suspension. He was arrested at his home Tuesday and remains a person of interest in regard to the 'threats of terrorism' investigation. Both boys are being held at a juvenile detention center without bond. Millington Schools are closed until the first week of January as a precaution. All after school and athletic events have also been cancelled until after the holiday break.

Thursday, 20 December 2012 09:49

Local schools close amid threats, rumors

(LAPEER COUNTY) -- The Connecticut school massacre and doomsday scenarios based on the Mayan calendar have prompted the closing of dozens of Michigan schools for the rest of the year. Lapeer, Almont and Dryden Community Schools are closed Thursday and Friday and will resume classes on Monday, January 7 following the holiday break. Lapeer Community Schools Superintendent Matt Wandrie says there have been numerous rumors circulating in the district about potential threats, which have been investigated and determined false. All after-school extracurricular events, programs, sports and practices are also canceled. Lapeer Schools have cancelled Kids and Company both Thursday and Friday. Student will however, be able to pick up any personal items from the building during certain hours Thursday.

(MILLINGTON) -- Millington Schools have closed early this week, just prior to the holiday break after threats were made against high school students and the high school itself. Tuscola County Prosecutor Mark Reene says that the administration at Millington Schools contacted authorities after learning of the alleged threats on Tuesday, December 18. Officers conducted interviews throughout the day and apprehended two students. Both are being held at a detention facility. Three homes were searched and physical evidence was seized. The district determined that it would be in the best interest of the school, staff, and students to cancel classes through Friday, December 21 as a precautionary measure. School will resume following the holiday break. Authorities are seeking information from the public on this case.

(AREA) -- What started out as an idea to help out Hurricane Sandy victims in New York, Speaker Township Firefighter Steven Schmidt turned the effort into an overwhelming response of support from the Sanilac County Fire Association and its members, helping four volunteer firefighter families in the Long Beach, New York area. Steve, Applegate Fire Chief Jeff Johnston, Grant Township Assistant Chief Dave Farr, and Sandusky firefighters Brad Harris and Nick Lusher went to all 20 fire departments in the Sanilac County Fire Association to explain the project and ask for donations. All 20 departments donated with members donating out of there own pockets. A total of $6,450 was raised through the Applegate, Argyle, Brown City, Burtchville Township, Carsonville, Croswell, Deckerville, Delaware Township, Elk Township, Grant Township, Kenockee Township, Lamotte Township, Lexington, Marlette, Minden City, Moore Township, Port Sanilac, Sandusky, Speaker Township, Yale/Brockway and the Argyle Township Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary.

Tubbs Brothers of Sandusky donated a car for the trip out to New York and NMJ Transport/Frank and Lori Lusher of Carsonville, Owens Warriors and the Douglas Family of Carsonville, and the Tony Minard family donated funds for travel expenses. Steve, Jeff, Brad and Nick were able to hand deliver the donations to each family and see first hand the damage of Hurricane Sandy.

Warren Jasse of the Point Lookout Volunteer Fire Department was the first recipient. Warren is married with two children. The family lost their home and everything they owned. They are currently living with relatives.

The second recipient was Lieut. Margaret Rodriguez of the Island Park Volunteer Fire Department. She is a single mother of two younger children that lost everything, including her hair salon. She is currently cutting hair in the fire house. During Hurricane Sandy, Island Park ran 1,000 calls.

The third recipient was Ryan Cassidy of the Merrick Volunteer Fire Department (Empire Hose Co. 3). Ryan and his wife lost their home and belongings in the storm. Ryan and Empire Hose Co. 3 provided accommodations at their station for Jeff, Brad, Steve and Nick for the night.

The fourth recipient was Chief William Allen of the Wantagh Volunteer Fire Department. Chief William is married and has five children. During the storm they had lost everything. Chief William was in New Orleans during the storm for a fire conference. He had to drive home due to flights being canceled during the storm to get to his family.

Due to the overwhelming response from the local fire departments, a fifth donation was given to the Long Beach Fire Department to buy presents for the firefighter's children. The Long Beach Fire Department lost their fire apparatuses except for the ambulance. Equipment has been donated to help them out. Some of their area was waist deep in water or higher in areas as they tried to fight fires and provide rescues during the storm.

The Nassau County New York Fire Departments would like to thank the Sanilac County Fire Association for pulling together during these hard times of the economy and holiday season to help support their brothers and sisters during these hard times. The Sanilac County Fire Association committee would like to thank all of the departments involved and Sandusky Fire Chief Todd Hillman and Brown City Fire Chief Jim Groat for getting contacts and helping make arrangements for the trip to New York.

(CASS CITY) -- The case of an alleged threat made by a Cass City High School student is now in the hands of the Tuscola County Prosecutor. The 16-year old student could face criminal charges. The district is closed until the first week of January after school Superintendent Jeff Hartel learned of the alleged threat of "shooting up the school." The decision to start the holiday break early was in the interest of student and staff safety. Hundreds of parents filled the Cass City High School gym Monday night during a special meeting regarding the situation. The student accused of making the threat that shut down the school and halted all home and away athletic events is no longer enrolled in the district. An investigation and interviews with students continues.

Tuesday, 18 December 2012 11:34

Marlette Schools receive 'clean' audit

(MARLETTE) -- The Marlette School Board of Education met last week. Board members were presented the 2011-12 audit report and received a clean or unqualified opinion for both the general and single audit, which was Food Service for 2012. The rating is the highest level of assurance possible. The General Fund balance on June 30, 2012 was just over $1.1 million, down $725,000 a year ago. The balance difference reflects one time federal money that has been spent.

In other business, board members accepted the bids for the asbestos abatement and demolition at Bea McDonald Elementary School. The asbestos abatement project was awarded to Trust Thermal Abatement with the low bid of $67,900 and the demolition project was awarded to Professional Thermal Systems, Inc. with a bid of $145,032.

Monday, 17 December 2012 11:18

Cass City Schools Closed following threat

(CASS CITY) -- Cass City Public Schools are closed until the first week of January after a threat was made by a student. Superintendent Jeff Hartel reportedly learned over the weekend that the district was made aware that a student made threats about "shooting up the school." In the interest of student safety, regularly scheduled classes Monday through Wednesday this week are now canceled. The holiday break started early and school will be back in session the first week of January. Superintendent Hartel says police have been notified of the threat, as well as the Tuscola County prosecutor. A special board of education meeting is scheduled to discuss the threat after 26 people, including 20 elementary students were killed in Newtown, Connecticut last Friday by a gunman.

All Cass City Schools Athletic events home and away are cancelled for the week of Dec. 17-Dec. 21

(SANILAC COUNTY) -- Sanilac County Sheriff's deputies investigated a two-vehicle accident at 6:50 a.m. Saturday morning at the intersection of Townline Road and M-46. Police say a car driven by 26-year old Stephanie Shrall of Sandusky had stopped at the intersection and then turned into the path of of a westbound pickup driven by 60-year old David Kirkbride of Sandusky. Both vehicles sustained significant damage. Kirkbride was not injured in the accident.  Schrall was transported to McKenzie Hospital for treatment of her injuries. She was also cited for Failure to Yield causing an Accident.  Deputies were assisted on scene by Sandusky Police and Fire Departments, along with Sanilac EMS.

Page 3 of 7