(PORT HURON) -- The Port Huron Fire Department battled an apartment fire Tuesday morning at the Peru Village Complex located at 702 Erie Street. Fire crews were sent to the scene shortly after 11 a.m. Heavy smoke was found in the first floor hallway as firemen arrived. According to Fire Marshal Jeffery Tucker, there were multiple reports of trapped individuals inside several of the apartments. The fire was quickly extinguished with assistance from the Marysville and Port Huron Township Fire Departments. Two occupants were rescued from an adjoining apartment with one being transported to Port Huron Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. Tri-Hospital EMS personnel and the American Red Cross also assisted at the scene.