(AREA) -- The state Department of Natural Resources says the 2013 hunting season in Michigan appears to have been among the safest for hunters. One fatality was reported statewide. Sgt. Joe Molnar of the DNR's Law Enforcement Division says that eight other people were injured during the year. According to a DNR report, carelessness was often cited as the cause. In 2012, one fatality and 14 injuries were reported. Past years have seen more problems. In 1960, 11 people died and 296 were injured. Last year, 52-year-old Michael Heisler of Port Huron was accidentally shot while hunting November 15 on state land in Montmorency County's Albert Township. The St. Clair County man was shot on the first day of firearm deer hunting season.