jtemplate.ru - free extensions for joomla
Wednesday, 13 November 2013 10:29

Large fire guts building in downtown Lapeer

(LAPEER) -- A large fire in downtown Lapeer's historic business district has gutted a building that includes apartments and led to damage at an adjacent theater. No injuries were reported following the blaze, which started around 7 p.m. Tuesday. Officials say around two dozen people living in the apartments were displaced by the fire. The cause wasn't immediately known. Assistant Fire Chief of Lapeer Fire and Rescue James Muxlow says that the fire started in one of the apartments, located above retail space. He said the fire spread quickly, but crews from several departments were able to contain the blaze. Mayor William Sprague says the PIX Theatre had smoke and water damage. Several buildings were threatened by the fire Tuesday. State Representative Kevin Daley of Lum stated that he intents to work with Lapeer and local officials to ensure that they have the resources necessary to help rebuild and return life to normal for everyone in Lapeer as soon as possible.

The City of Lapeer and Chamber of Commerce would like to thank the Lapeer, Imlay City, Metamora, Oxford, Davison, Elba and Deerfield Fire Departments for their efforts fighting the fire. A big thanks also goes to the local businesses that supported the firefighters as they worked through the night.

Lapeer Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Neda Payne says that Peddlers Place and Diamond Optical are serving as drop off points for items needed by those displaced by the fire including two air mattresses, girls size 4-5 clothes, men's medium and large shirts, women's small and extra small sized clothes, mens 32-34 pants, bedding and other basic needs. St. Matthews Anglican Church will be holding a Community Prayer Service Wednesday at 7 p.m. and will have a "Community Clothes Closet" open for those in need from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday and Friday. The church is located at 220 Nepessing Street in Lapeer.