(KIMBALL TOWNSHIP) -- A fire at a Michigan landfill has damaged part of the facility's methane gas collection system. Contractors spotted flames Tuesday at around 6 p.m. at the Smiths Creek Sanitary Landfill. Firefighters from six departments battled the flames. Landfill Manager Matt Williams says the fire was contained to the surface of the landfill. The fire melted the top of one of the landfill's methane gas extraction wells. Crews will determine whether the well equipment can be salvaged or must be replaced. A cost estimate to repair the damage has not yet been determined. No injuries were reported Tuesday.